April 7, 2010

Who Do You Belong To?

Our youngest two boys, much to Mom’s delight, got Toy Story 1 & 2 in their Easter Baskets this year. I love these movies – they are just fun to watch and they teach great lessons about true friendship, commitment and perseverance. As we sat to watch them Sunday evening, our youngest had to bring out his own Buzz Lightyear and Woody to relive the action as it happened on the big screen (well, all 32” of it.)


P1050280


At one point in Toy Story 1, Buzz has a crisis in what he believes about who is and where he belongs. Feeling completely lost and hopeless, Buzz shuts down and gives up. But Woody, seeing a means of escape for both of them, reminds Buzz that he is valuable and loved and irreplaceable. He reminds him that that not only does he ‘belong’ but Woody reminds Buzz to whom he belongs. Cut to the scene where Buzz lifts his plastic space boot and looks at the name written there…’ANDY’. He belongs to Andy…and the light bulb comes on for Buzz…and for me.


Funny, I have watched this movie 30 times and that scene never struck me like it did when I saw it Sunday night. I don’t know what it was but when Buzz revealed the truth written on the bottom of his boot, something in my heart said, “Who do YOU belong to?”

Well, some would say I belong to my parents or to my husband or to my kids. Yes, they are a big part of me and vice versa but I do not ‘belong’ to them. I can honestly say that I don’t belong to my job or to debt (thank goodness!) So who do I belong to? I may not have someone’s name written on the bottom of my foot (this would be an impossible feat anyways, as I am unbelievably ticklish) but I do have something written on my heart:

I will put My law within them, and on their hearts will I write it; and I will be their God, and they will be My people. (Jer 31:33)

God has written his name and his promises on my heart. It is irrevocable and unchangeable – it is in a safe spot where it will never wash off (unlike the bottom of my ticklish feet!) I belong to HIM and he belongs to me! Woo-hoo!! That something that I can count on always. He is my eternal friend (John 15:15 ) and has called me by my name…


I have called you by your name; you are MINE. (Isaiah 43:1)

I know that no matter where I am or where I am going, whether I am walking in his will or wandering off the path He has not lost track of me. Instead, He watches over me – calling me by my name and leading me out of trouble - when I listen :) (John 10:3)


So I am His and He is mine. We belong to one another and I am truly never alone. I may not be labeled with marker but my heart is eternally sealed. That is how I know that I am God’s. But how do I know that God is mine? He is marked, too.


Behold, I have indelibly imprinted [tattooed a picture of] you on the palm of each of My hands… (Isaiah 49:16)


Indelibly; permanent, impossible to remove or blot out.


So what does it look like for God to have your name tattooed on the palm of his hand?


I am guessing it looks something like this:





File_PassionMovie_NailHand

There is no greater friend 

than one who would lay down his life for another…

Who do you belong to?



You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
When the road looks rough ahead,
And you're miles and miles from your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said,
Boy, you've got a friend in me
Yeah, you've got a friend in me




IMG_0438
PS. In doing a little research for this, I came across a blog post written by a mom describing a Good Friday tradition. On the morning of Good Friday, she stamps the center of her childrens palms with red. Then she writes their names on their palms next to the red mark as a reminder of who Jesus died for. He died for them …he died for YOU – never forget it! Wishing I had read that post last week but I am hoping to remember it for next year. 
(The Celebrated Family)

5 comments:

  1. Dawn that was beautiful :) I never thought of toy story like that but you are absolutely right :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/09/2010

    Toy Story 1 and especially 2 are my FAVORITE! This was an amazing post Dawn! Love reading the words that God gives you! Love ya girl!

    Katie G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was cool mom. You always find awesome stuff like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, wonderful story. God has given you a gift of writing. You have so many gifts that the Lord has bless you with, use those gifts for the "Glory of God".

    Thank you for sharing your heart!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, you have been Valley Deal Seekers #1 fan from the beginning and that does not compare to how BIG of a fan I am of Random Thoughts of a Small Town Girl! You are a beautiful, thoughtful, empowering individual and blessed with so many gifts. Thank you for sharing your incite and powerful gift with us through your blog. You are truly valuable, loved and irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!