December 6, 2011

Deep Cleaning

I got out my toothbrush today.

OK. Not THAT toothbrush - I brush my teeth everyday. Honest.

No, I got out this toothbrush.

And for two hours I brushed and scrubbed little nooks and crannies throughout my house that haven't been brushed and scrubbed in ... well, a REALLY long time.

Two hours later, I stood back and smiled and breathed out a deep sigh. A deep sigh of contentment and relief and accomplishment.  My house looked cleaner, felt cleaner, and it smelled cleaner ... fresher.

And it got me to thinking.  I think our souls are like that.  Every once in a while they need a deep cleaning. We all do our best on a day to day basis to keep the clutter under control and the obvious cobwebs swept away. But every once in while, we need to pull out that toothbrush and take a closer look.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me..." (Psalm 139:2-3)
Because way back in the corners of our heart are the crumbs and dust that, if left untouched, will eventually begin to become more obvious.  If we don't clean out the corners of our home once in awhile, those dust bunnies will become dust dinos and take over.  And it is no different with our hearts.

Crumbs of anger or unforgiveness become bitterness.

     Seeds of hurt or betrayal become mistrust or even hate.

          Shadows of pride and arrogance become self-righteousness and condemnation.

We need to make time to clean our homes.  And more importantly, we need to make time to clean out our hearts.  Find a quiet space, shut out the world and shut yourself in with God and ask him to help to sweep out those back corners and those neglected closets.

You'll feel fresher ... and freer.
"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account...  For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.  Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." (Hebrews 4:13, 15-16)

Be brave. Find your voice. And be free.


When is the last time you found made the time or space for self-reflection? Give yourself an early - and priceless - Christmas gift and do it today (or at least this week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!