July 20, 2011

Miscommunications

Our 3 boys like to give their poor old dad grief whenever they can. (Of course, what kid doesn't like to egg Dad on once in while?) Their favorite topic of ridicule, when it comes to Dad, is definitely his receding hairline. Especially on hot days,... or picture days, ...or church days...or Mondays - in other words, any day is a good day to give Dad a bad time about how fast his hair is headed south.

And, as they also like to say, the only thing he might be losing faster than his hair is his hearing. My husband has earned the unofficially family title (in other words, I just came up with it) of "King of Unintentional Mis-communications."

Such as in:
Me: I think Colin looks really tired.
Keith: The cat needs to get wired?
Or:
Isaac: Today in school we had macaroni and cheese.
Keith: You ate liver and leaves?!?
Or:
Colin: Dad, can we watch a Jimmy Neutron?
Keith: No, you cannot wave out the window with just your shoes on!

Ahem.  You get the picture.

All three boys take great joy in pointing out any and all of Dad's guffaws in this area.  But they forget one thing: the apple does not fall very far from the tree.

Case in point: Recently I was doing some music searches - looking up some "oldies but goodies" - when I came across an old favorite on YouTube.  I was so excited and couldn't wait to share it with one of my kids - and so, with anticipation, I played the video for Colin.  He gave it a listen, looking bewildered and confused.

When the video finished, I was waiting for a "Cool!" or "Sweet!" but what I got instead was an "I don't get it."

What do you mean, you don't "get it"?

"I don't get it," he repeated, "What's the point of a horse with no mane?"

No 'mane'?  No 'mane'?!?

Yes, you are definitely your father's child...

Regardless of my son's confusion, I still love this song.  Enjoy. Uff-da.

(If you cannot see the video, please click HERE.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!