September 17, 2011

Comfort Foods

The temperatures around here took a turn for the worst this week. We went from nice sunny 80 degree days to having an overnight low of 28.  Brrr!  I dug out my warmest slippers and made a quick switch from my favorite iced coffee to hot tea.  Thankfully, Mr. Weatherman assures us that this is just a temporary situation and we are supposed to be back up in the mid 70's by next week.  Big relief - 'cuz I am so not ready to break out the hats and gloves or anything else that goes with them.  (Not to mention the fact that I finally have enough of a tan that I don't blind the neighbors when I go outside in a pair of shorts.)

There is one thing I do like about cooler temperatures, though: comfort foods.  Sure, summer salads and ice cold watermelon are nice but they don't satisfy you like a good hot home-cooked meal.

Today was cold, windy and generally blah so I decided it was a perfect day to make some home made soup and bake some bread.  And as I listened to the "oohs and aahs" from my family as they came in the door tonight, I knew I had made the right choice.  The house smelled great and supper looked like this:



I wish this was smell-o-vision so you could enjoy the wonderful aromas that came from my kitchen today. There was hardly a word spoken at our dinner table tonight outside of "more bread, please," "pass the jam," and "that is some good soup, Mom."

Now that's what I like to hear!

My Cream Potato Soup is a merging of three different recipes I came across.  It's super easy to throw together and its one of the few meals that seems to satisfy everyone at my house.  So in case you'd like to try it, here's my recipe:

Creamy Potato Soup
(Makes 8 servings)

6 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 small onion, minced
2 carrots, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp parsley
Salt/Pepper to taste
1 can cream of chicken soup

Put everything, except for the soup, into a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add in soup and stir until heated through.

If you want a thicker soup, add another can of soup. You may also use Cream of Celery or even a cheese soup to change it up a little. And you can always throw a clove of garlic in there, too, for a little kick.

Enjoy!


What is one of your favorite Fall comfort foods? Do you have a go to recipe that makes everyone happy?

I am linked up at Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!