September 1, 2011

Here We Go

Well, if you didn't know it, today is the first day of September.

Woo-hoo, right?

The kids are back to school, summer is waving it's long good-bye and autumn is blowing it's fallen leaves down the path straight at you.  And for the Samuels family, it also means it's time to start our "Do Less, So We Can Do More" challenge.

I am meeting this challenge with a complete mixture of excitement and disdain.  I want to do this but I would really like to do it without sacrifice.

Ahem.

Yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds.  But be honest, aren't we all the same?  Come on now...

Yesterday I was digging through some old journals and, low and behold, I came across this plastered across the front of one of them (emphasis mine):
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Phil 4:11-13)
God is too funny.  OK, so this will not be easy but we can do it.

Then this morning, I received this in my email:


Thank you, Dave - I get the hint.

So how am I starting our challenge?  First things on the list are:
1. Pantry Cooking. We are eating what we already have on hand this week - and maybe next week, too.  Time to clean out the pantry, fridge and refrigerator.

2. Iced Coffee. The closing of our local MickeyD's for remodeling has forced the issue on this one.  How will I ever live with out my iced coffees?  How about learning to make them myself.  Ya' think?  Yes, I can do this.

3. No Subway.  Ouch.  This will be a tough one. Our kids favorite place to eat out is Subway and, while I am happy that they don't like greasy fast food, Subway get expensive and they don't have a dollar menu.  Which hurts, especially now that I have a 12 year old that can eat a footlong on his own.  Yikes!

Well, there it is.  Day one: so far, so good. Aren't you impressed?

Hey, and since its probably September at your house, too, I'd be honored if you'd join me in this No Spend Septemember adventure!


If you want to check out Dave's tips, go HERE. If you want to share your money saving tips, hit the comments below. If you want to send me a Subway gift card (or two or three), email me and I'd be happy to give you my mailing address :) HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!