May 4, 2011

Battle Wounds & Yummy Asian Citrus Salad

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day!!! It was exactly what everyone needed around here. I had to just chuckle at #3 son when he came home from school today. He burst through the door screaming "Mom, this was the best day of school EV- ER!" I thought for sure he'd won some contest or had all day recess or something big like that. But when I asked him what was so good about his day, he giggled, "I don't know, mom, it was just really, REALLY GOOD."

Amazing what a little sunshine and fresh air will do.

So while a group of boys got on a fierce game of Four-Square in the driveway, I got out my gardening gloves and started attacking some of the leaves, litter and dead junk in my flower beds.  At first I was just going to do a couple in the back yard but, before I knew it, I had filled two 32-gallon garbage cans and cleaned out ALL 8 of my flower beds.

Woo-hoo!  Around here, we call that Progress.

However, 'progress' often comes at a cost.

My arms came away with some battle wounds that looked even worse because, though I LOVE flowers and all things earthy, I am also allergic to it.  So I got in the house, gave my arms a good scrubbing and doused on the Benedryl.

All better...I promise.

So after my Benedryl bath, it was off to make supper.  Tonight, I was making something new - Asian Citrus Salad.  I was a little nervous about this but Jen at Beauty and Bedlam assured that it would be a hit.  And she was right - Isaac kept telling me how much he liked it in-between mouthfuls and I confess that I went back for a very large second helping (but, hey, its salad.)

So because I want you to make your own Asian Citrus Salad of Awesomeness, here is the recipe:




Salad
Mix the following ingredients together in a large bowl.
  • 12 oz bag Romaine lettuce (or whatever 'greens' you prefer)
  • 10 Radishes, thinly sliced
  • 4-6 slices of Red onion, quartered
  • 3 small Grilled chicken breasts
  • 2 small cans, Mandarin Oranges - well drained
  • Chow Mein noodles sprinkled on top
ASIAN DRESSING
 Add the following ingredients and mix when finished:
  • 1/2 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 Pressed garlic clove
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • 1 cup Vegetable Oil (or whatever oil you prefer)
Serve mixed salad in individual bowls or plates and drizzle with dressing.  Mhm - hmm - good...


Oh, and before I forget, thanks to J.S. and A.D. for the suggestions on what to do about my husband's healthy lunch box dilemma.  I already put the chicken recipe on the menu for next week.  And if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be happy to take them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!