May 2, 2011

Jesus Loves Motorcycles

Who says you can't have fun in church?

dgroth's Photostream via Flickr
Today our church sanctuary had motorcycles in it.  In fact, after worship, 6 large, loud, shined and well-tuned machines were driven up to the front and parked right in front of the stage.  We wore our jeans and boots and sang loudly to the King of Kings.

It was CMA Sunday.  I love CMA Sunday.

For several years now at our church, the first Sunday of May has been dedicated to celebrating the Christian Motorcycle Association and everything they do to " reach people for Christ in the highways and byways through motorcycling."    Sometimes it's at a truck stop, sometimes it's at a local motorcycle run - often times it's at places most of us would never consider going - such as at bike rallies like the one held in Sturgess, SD every year.


CMA's message is simple:  God loves you and you have a choice:  You can either ride down a road of deception that will come to a fatal end.  Or you can ride down the road of God's truth, grace and forgiveness that will end with an eternal reward.

Today we had the privilege of listening to the Central ND CMA Regional Representative, John Butman, present the word of God.  And he did it with humility and compassion.  One of the things he said that really stuck out to me was in regards to the state of affairs in America.  We all like to blame certain political groups or activists or "big government" or greedy CEO's for the state of our economy and the deterioration of our culture.  But he said that if we want to blame someone, we should blame ourselves - those of us who call ourselves Christians. In 2 Chronicles 7:14 it says:

"...if my people, who are called by my name, 
will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, 
then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

If my people...

     ...would humble themselves

          ...and pray

               ...and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways...

                    ...THEN I will hear...and forgive...and heal their land.

Ouch.  I heard that.  Did you? What if I spent a little less time blaming others and started spending a little more time doing what God has called me to do...

Just something to think about.  I wouldn't want to get all radical or anything, now would I?

Any-hoo... Spring is here (or at least that's what the calendar tells us.)  Many of you are probably getting your bikes ready to hit the road.  If so, be safe.  And enjoy the ride.  And remember to share some light and love while you're at it.  Who knows who might be ready to listen...

If you'd like more information on CMA or are interested in joining a local chapter, please go to http://www.cmausa.org and check them out.

Oh, and remember to wear you helmet and face sheild.  It keeps the bugs out of your teeth. (Ewwww....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!