April 29, 2011

What Procrastination Will Get You

I have a confession.

We are a little slow around here when it comes to getting the outside Christmas decorations down. Not as in end-of-January or even mid-February...but usually around March sometime. So embarrassing...

And this year, with the winter-that-never-ends, we were even slower. In fact, the last string of garland and lights did not come down off of the front deck until about 3 weeks ago. *blush* And even after that came down, we still missed something.  Don't ask me how - it is right outside the door we go in and out of about 20 times a day and it looks like this:


Yes, that is a very sad remnant of an artificial Christmas wreath. A wreath I was going to take down yesterday, until I saw this:




Did you see it?  Not yet?  Look a little closer...


Yes, that is what procrastination will get you...a nest.  And not just a nest but a nest full of eggs.  Oh, dear.  So much for moving that wreath.

It also explains the momma bird that has been mysteriously appearing out of nowhere everytime we come out the front door.  Or when the mailman tries to deliver our mail - like this morning when the poor guy just about lost his head.  I am thinking we may have a problem here.

But before we discuss that, I need to finish with my confessing.  See, this is not the first time this has happened.

I kid you not.  The same thing happened two years ago.  And two years ago, just as we were getting all excited about having baby birds outside our front door, tragedy happened.  We woke up one morning to find our sidewalk covered in scrambled eggs.  The culprit -  a mean, nasty old crow.  It was not a pretty sight.  I was mortified, Isaac was very angry and Colin, of course, was in tears and wanted to bury what was left of the eggs.

I really do not want to repeat that again...

So far this year, we do not have the nasty crow problem that we had two years ago - so I am hoping we are good to go, as far as that is concerned.  But I am worried about the mailman.  He's a nice guy but even mailmen will only put up with so much.  And I really like getting my mail.

Oh, dear...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!