April 1, 2011

Who's It For?

I was kind of dreading reading Proverbs 31. I mean what is there to say about the Proverbs woman that has not already been said? But since I'm slowly learning to finish what I started, I knew I could not quit at chapter 30!

So on I read, and low and behold I learned something (i-ma-gine that!)

Read with me:
Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life...
She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy...
She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, praises her...
(Proverbs 31:11-12, 27-28)

We always talk about everything the Proverbs woman does - and often we are intimidated by that.  How does she do it all? But then I re-read those passages and I think I may have found a clue. It is not so much how and what she does, as much as it is who she does it for?

There is nothing in the passages that suggests she does anything for herself but that her actions are completely self-less.  She is not worried about the next promotion or impressing the neighbors or improving her lifestyle.  Instead, what she did was out of love and duty for her husband, her children and even her community.  They are her motivation - the reason she gets up each day and does everything that she does.

There is so much that I can learn from that.  I have often struggled and striven to "do it all" - but way too often I have forgotten the reason why, or for who, I do it.  What good is it to "do", when all your "doing" is shutting out and pushing away those for who you are doing it!  

*sigh*

I do it for them:


Aren't they just gor-geous!  I love them so much and would do just about anything for them.  But there are times when it is less about doing and more about being...with them.

Lord, help to remember my duty without ever forgetting my purpose!

Amen?

Amen! Be blessed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!