March 25, 2011

A Duty to Pray: Randering Through Proverbs (Day 25)


"Remove the wicked from the king's presence, and his throne will be established through righteousness."
Proverbs 25:5

My son is a United States Marine.  His ultimate duty is to protect this country and its Commander in Chief - no matter how he feels about the Commander in Chief.  If you were to ask him about his job, his response would be "I have a job to do, and I will do that job to the best of my ability."

No emotion. No opinion.  Just a statement of fact...and duty.

And just as my son has a duty to protect his Commander in Chief, we have a duty to pray for him.
"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—  for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness."  (I Timothy 2:1, 2)

Notice it does not say, " ...for kings and all those in authority, if you like them and completely agree with their policies and agendas..."

*Ahem*

I know that being President is not an easy job and even the strongest, most faithful man would struggle underneath the pressure.  I also know that politics in America is, unfortunately, a dirty game - filled with many who could be described as "wicked" or even worse.   So when is the last time I prayed that our president would be protected from their influence?  That God would remove the "wicked" influences around him and surround him with godly men full of faith and humility? Or that God would give him wisdom and discernment? Or even that God would strengthen and encourage his family?

*crickets chirping*

Yeah, I'm thinking it...I've got a little work praying to do.

Will you join me?  And while we're at it, let us not forget to pray for our troops and their families who sacrifice so much for us on a daily basis.

Be blessed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!