March 22, 2011

Randering Through Proverbs :The Good Side of Failure (Day 20)

"Many a man claims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find" (Proverbs 20:6)
"Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin." (Proverbs 20:9)

No. One. Is. Perfect.

No matter how hard we try - perfection is impossible.  And believe me - I have tried.  I have tried to be the perfect parent, perfect spouse, perfect friend...and have failed miserably time and time again.

But I am OK with that.  Not the "striving for perfection" part because I really know that is pointless and I need to learn to give it up.  And, slowly, I am (have you seen my messy house lately?  Ugh.)

What I am OK with is the "failing" part.  Why? Because, first of all, I am learning that "trying my best" is really good enough.  I am only one person and I can only do so much.  And my best...well, is my best.

But secondly, my God tells me I don't have to be perfect.  He knows I am going to fail no matter how hard I try.
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)
All of us fail - day after day.  We fail our friends, family, ourselves...and God. We could despair over this - we could beat ourselves up and remind ourselves over and over what failures we are.  Or we could look to God's word and find hope:

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
"...and [all] are justified freely by his grace, through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ." (Romans 3:24)

God knows it all.  And way back when, before we were even a glimmer in our creator's eye, he saw every one of our sins and failures.  He knew we were going to disappoint him and rebel and fight against him.  And yet, he loved us - warts and all.  Enough to die for us to make up for every one of those sins and failures and imperfections.

They don't call it "amazing grace" for nothing...

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!