March 9, 2011

Randering Through Proverbs : Folly's Fruit (Day 9)

I don't know how anyone else is doing, but I am so glad I decided to do this. Even though I've struggled finding time to write out what I am learning, it has been exciting, too. I have friends that insist they could not exist without journaling daily. While I've never been able to do that, I find that the more I write about what God is showing me in His word, the more He reveals to me. 'Cuz, once again, he's just awesome like that... (Please, if you haven't already, drop me a comment and let me know how it is going for you, too.)
_____________________________________________________________________________



Proverbs 9: 1-6, 13-18
Wisdom has built her house; she has hewn out its seven pillars.  She has prepared her meat and mixed her wine; she has also set her table. She has sent out her maids, and she calls from the highest point of the city.

“Let all who are simple come in here!” she says to those who lack judgment. “Come, eat my food and drink the wine I have mixed. Leave your simple ways and you will live; walk in the way of understanding...


The woman Folly is loud; she is undisciplined and without knowledge. She sits at the door of her house, on a seat at the highest point of the city, calling out to those who pass by, who go straight on their way.
“Let all who are simple come in here!” she says to those who lack judgment. “Stolen water is sweet; food eaten in secret is delicious!” But little do they know that the dead are there, that her guests are in the depths of the grave.

So here we have a story about two women, Wisdom and Folly.  In the first few verses, we learn quite a bit about the character and activities of Wisdom;
  • Wisdom builds her house...
  • Wisdom hews (chisels) out her pillars...
  • Wisdom prepares her meat...
  • Wisdom mixes her wine...
  • Wisdom sets her table...
  • Wisdom sends out her servants...
Whew!  Wisdom is one busy woman!  Kind of like a Martha Stewart on steroids. 

But now on to Folly.  What do we know about her?  Well, there's not too much know. Because according to Proverbs...are you ready for this? (drum-roll, please);
  • Folly sits...

*crickets chirping*


Folly...sits?!?  That's it?

Wow. Talk about a study in contrasts.

While one is disciplined (working, cooking, and planning), the other is undisciplined - doing nothing more each day than sitting around, watching people walk by her house.

As we read on, however, we find that our ladies do have two things in common...kind of.
  • They both have guests over for a meal.  But while Wisdom takes the time to set her table and prepare meat and wine for a feast, Folly is too lazy to even cook. So lazy, in fact, that the food she serves to her guests is stolen!    
Talk about foolishness and mayhem...Can you imagine having people over for a meal and then serving them food that you stole from someone else's table?  (You better hope they don't ask for the recipe.)
  • Both ladies' invitation produces fruit.  If we accept Wisdom's invitation to dinner, not only will our physical bellies be filled but  in our spiritual bellies, her offering will grow understanding...and life. However, if we accept the invitation of Folly, who mocks us by saying, “Stolen water is sweet; food eaten in secret is delicious!”, we will not only go hungry but in the end her offering produces nothing but...death.
*Ahem*

That last bite was a little hard to swallow...  Am I being productive: spending my hours on things that will bless others and produce life giving fruit?  Or am I being idle and lazy: wasting my time doing things that have no value...or even worse doing nothing at all?

Yeesh. I certainly hope it is the former and not the latter. Yet, how often do I get to the end of a day and think to myself "Did I accomplish anything today?" At least, anything that really mattered.  Did I do anything that encouraged my kids? Did I do anything that made a positive difference in my family's life?  In my neighbor's life?  Anyone's life at all?

That's not how I want to live my life...or teach my children to live theirs.  I want each day to count for something.  Each day, I have a choice.  To be a disciplined woman of Wisdom...producing life.  Or an undisciplined woman of Folly...harboring death.

I am going to do my best, one day at a time, with God's grace and mercy, to choose Wisdom and life. I am going to do my best to be a good example to my kids of what a good mom, a good friend and a good neighbor looks like.  I want to show my kids how to share life and the light of Christ with others.

But please, just don't ask me to chisel any pillars.  Just saying...


Be blessed...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!