March 14, 2011

Randering Through Proverbs : Daring to Shake a Stranger's Hand (Days 13 & 14)

I did not blog on Sunday - it was family chill day.  So here's my thoughts on both Sunday and Monday's Proverbs.

Sunday - Proverbs 13: My thoughts in a nutshell..

  • The sluggard craves and gets nothing...(v.4)
...very good advice against being lazy but I admit I like it because, once again, we get to say "sluggard"   *smile*
  • A man's riches may ransom his life, but a poor man hears no threat. (v. 8)
...you cannot lose what you do not have.
  • Dishonest money swindles away, but he who gather money little by little makes it grow. (v. 11)
...everyone thinks you need to hit the jackpot to "make it rich" but have you ever figured out how much you could have saved by just putting away $5/week for 20 years?
  • He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm. (v. 20)
...I pray my children, young and not so young, choose their friends wisely.
  • He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him. (v. 24)
...kids need and want boundaries.  Boundaries give children a sense of security and stability.  Children who never know boundaries are insecure, selfish and will look for love in all the wrong places.  Never be afraid to tell your children "No."

Monday - Proverbs 14: Daring to Shake a Stranger's Hand
"He who despises his neighbor sins, but blessed is he who is kind to the needy,  Do not those who plot evil go astray? But those who plan what is good find love and faithfulness." (v. 21-22)

I am naturally shy.  It is VERY difficult for me to step out of my comfort zone to approach people I do not know very well - or even worse, try to start a conversation in a social situation, with someone that is not closer to me than my best friend. Yikes!  Scary...

I have said before that the part about church I hate the most is when the pastor tells everyone to stand up and "greet a few people you have never met before."

*groan*  ...   *groan again and roll eyes*



At this point, my reaction is to either:
A. Develop a deep, desperate urge to go to the altar for silent prayer, or
B. Suddenly realize I have to "go" really, really bad and make a bee-line for the bathroom.
*Ahem*  So embarrassing...

So what does that have to do with being "kind to the needy"?  Or "planning what is good"?  If I had a dollar for every time I had "good intentions", I would be a wealthy woman.  There are so many times I have come up with an idea to bless someone ("planned what is good"), or intended to participate in some community event or even thought out how I could invite people over for tea...only to get up to the 11th hour and not actually follow through because of my shyness and insecurity.  Now if someone invites me...I am there!  Woo-hoo...let's get this party started!

But for me to do the inviting?  Oh, dear...I hope you weren't planning on that tea being hot.

So here's the problem:  I want my children to be good neighbors.  I want them to be the kind of people that do not hesitate when someone is in trouble - when someone needs a hand...or a friend.  I want them to have to the courage to step out and make that new person at church or school feel welcome and wanted.  I want my children to know how to meet the needs of others without being asked.  Whether it is shoveling the neighbor's walk or bringing a hot sandwich to that raggedy looking gentleman standing on the corner - I do not want them to be afraid of what needs to be done.

But how will they learn to do this, if I do not teach them?  How will they learn to do something, if it is not modeled by those closest to them?  How will they know that something is important, if it is not given priority in their own home?

*sigh*

It is time for me to start stepping out of my box.  Even if I really, really like my box.  After all, it is SO warm and cozy ...and safe.

But nobody ever changed the world by being "safe".  And not that I think that I need to be changing the "world" but I sure would like to think I can at least make a difference in my home, my neighborhood, my community and my church.

And I think I'll start by suggesting we shorten up that greeting time.

But first, I'm going to go shake somebody's hand.

Be blessed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!