March 18, 2011

Randering Through Proverbs : Unscalable Walls (Day 18)

Good Morning!  The sky is blue and the sun is SHINING.  Can I get a "Wah-hoo!"  (I am just  a little excited - can you tell?)

Let's get started - on to Proverbs 18! (I told you I was a little excited today. *smile*)


"The wealth of the rich is their fortified city
they imagine it an unscalable wall." (Prov 18:11)

When you close your eyes and think of "security," what do you picture?  A big house, a huge bank account, a large and growing 401K?  We could work hard and sacrifice and attain all that and then shout from our roof tops:  "We have arrived! We did it - nothing can stop me now.  I have it all and nothing can touch me."

But notice in verse 11 that it says that
"they imagine(d) it an unscalable wall."
They thought the wall they had built from
their wealth and possessions was safe and secure... but it wasn't.  Their perception of
security was not real...it was fantasy.

A figment of their proud imagination.


"Before his downfall a man's heart is proud..." (v.12)

How much time do I waste, struggling in vain, trying to figure out how I can save myself?  Or trying to protect myself from the daggers the world throws at me?  How often do I think that more money or more investments will give me security?

No matter how much I strive or sweat or grasp...nothing on this earth gives me what I really need.  That one thing that I truly long for ... peace.

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." (v. 10)

God is the only "strong tower" that will never fail or fall.  It is only within the walls of his protection that we will find safety.  And it is only when we run to him that we will find unimaginable peace.

"The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:5-7)

Be blessed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!