March 7, 2011

Randering Through Proverbs: Where Can You Hide? (Day 5)

"For a man's ways are in full view of the Lord, and he examines all his paths." Proverbs 5:21

On occassion, I will begin a thought and then stop myself by saying
"I don't want God to catch me thinking...that!"  

Uh, too late...God has already heard it and there's nothing I can do about it.  There is nothing that we can hide from him because there is nothing that he cannot see ...or hear.   

But we try anyways -  it seems to be instinct.  And we all do it.  Maybe not our outward actions so much - but more so the intents of our hearts.  And though we may be able to hide our thoughts from others,  God sees every page of our hearts.

Remember Adam and Eve in the garden?  When their sin was revealed to them, the first thing they tried to do was cover themselves and hide from God.  But David says in Psalms 139 :
"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you."
God is everywhere and he sees it all...
"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight.  Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account." (Hebrews 4:13)
Before the fall of Adam and Eve, they were naked.  It was only after the fall that they felt they needed to cover up.  And we've been covering ourselves ever since.  We cover ourselves with fancy clothes, lots of friends and activities, a nice house or cool car...anything to hide the guilt and shame that we carry.

But what I find interesting,  is that God seeks to "uncover" and "lay bare" everything that we work so hard to cover up.   God sees it all and he wants us to stop trying to hide it and just be honest about it.  Not necessarily for the whole world to see - but at least to him.

And to ourselves.

Why?  Because...
"...we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin.  Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." (Heb 4:15-16)
We do not need to hide our sins out of fear of what God may do to us!  He understands our struggles perfectly.  We need to approach him with confidence and lay our sins and failures at his feet, knowing that when we come to him out of sincere humility and repentance, he will meet us  - with mercy and grace.

Because that's just how he rolls.
"When we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us..."  1 John1:9
Be blessed...




PS - I will be reading chapter 6 but may not be posting on it, so you might be on your own for that one!   Hey, it's Sunday and even occasional bloggers need a day of rest :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog. I would love to hear your comments - they encourage me so much!